Leroy Anderson spent the summer of 1946 at Painter Hill in Woodbury, Connecticut. It was here that he composed Sleigh Ride during a heat wave. Two years later the Andersons settled in Woodbury permanently, first to Eleanor Anderson’s mother’s house on Painter Hill Road.
Leroy Anderson House
Leroy Anderson House
The Andersons built a modernist home on Grassy Hill in 1953. During these years Leroy Anderson wrote many of his well-loved compositions, among them Blue Tango, The Typewriter, Serenata, Belle of the Ball, Bugler's Holiday and Forgotten Dreams.
Arthur Fiedler and the Boston Pops Orchestra continued to premier Leroy's works including Sleigh Ride, Fiddle-Faddle and Trumpeter's Lullaby, until 1950. After that Leroy conducted the premieres of his works when he recorded them for Decca Records. Among these pieces were Belle of the Ball, Blue Tango, Bugler's Holiday, Forgotten Dreams, Horse and Buggy, Plink, Plank, Plunk!, Serenata, The Typewriter and Waltzing Cat. It was his own recording of Blue Tango that made #1 on the Hit Parade of 1952. The popularity of Leroy Anderson's music was rapidly spreading around the world. By 1952 Leroy had established himself as the pre-eminent American composer of light concert music.
During these years Leroy often took his family to New York to see Broadway shows and to visit the sites of the city he and his wife had come to know. Leroy was an active member of St. Paul's Episcopal Church which the family regularly attended. He guest-conducted orchestras throughout the United States, Canada and Sweden. In the late sixties Leroy served on the boards of the New Haven and Hartford Symphonies and also as acting manager of the Waterbury Symphony Orchestra.
The Leroy Anderson Memorial Bandstand on Woodbury's North Green was built by the Woodbury Lions Club in 1986. The West Point Military Academy Band gave a concert on the North Green in 1986 as part of the dedication ceremony to honor Leroy Anderson.
Leroy Anderson received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 1976 at 1620 Vine Street for his contribution to the recording industry.
Leroy Anderson was elected posthumously to the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 1988.
In 1995 Harvard University named its new Harvard University Band headquarters the Anderson Band Center in honor of Leroy Anderson. Cambridge, Massachusetts Mayor Michael Sullivan and the Cambridge City Council dedicated the corner of Chatham and Crawford Streets as Leroy Anderson Square on May 31, 2003.
The National Park Service named The Leroy Anderson House to the National Register of Historic Places on December 31, 2012.
The Leroy Anderson House contains an exhibit about Leroy Anderson and is occasionally open to the public.
Open Days 2016 are: Saturday, October 22, 2016, Saturday, October 29, 2016 and Saturday, December 3, 2016, from 10 am to 4 pm. Admission is by email reservation only: info[at]leroyandersonfoundation[dot]org.
Group Visits may be arranged on other days by advance reservation. For information contact the Leroy Anderson Foundation. The Leroy Anderson Foundation supports the Connecticut Trust for Historic Preservation.
Also visit the official website for Leroy Anderson maintained by his family.
This page was last updated January 17, 2017.